Re: RA with MV attributes

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 Jan 2007 21:28:16 -0800

On Jan 17, 9:32 am, Gene Wirchenko <g..._at_ocis.net> wrote:
> "Marshall" <marshall.spi..._at_gmail.com> wrote:[snip]
>
> >A related issue I find quite compelling is whether a single language
> >could be designed that would incorporate the best of both, leaving
> >the decision of which one to use in the hands of the programmer,
> >to be made on a case-by-case basis, rather than in the hands of
> >the language designer, who necessarily decides these things for
> >all programmers using his language.
>
> Like VB 6? You can declare variables as being of one type (say,
> Integer) or any (Variant).

Sure, that's a start. However what I'm starting to imagine is something that AFAIK is not in any existent language. The idea is that a given module could be capable of very strict static checking, such as proving the absence of infinite loops, faults such as divide by zero, and freedom
from stack overflows through a proof of maximum resource usage. Another module could be completely free from such requirements, fully dynamic, having all checking deferred until runtime. All in the same language; the choice of where in the continuum you are made by the programmer based on the needs of the current application.

Marshall Received on Thu Jan 18 2007 - 06:28:16 CET

Original text of this message