Re: Ideas for World Hierarchy Example

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 14 Jan 2007 18:14:09 -0800

> > Planets (9)
> Now the PTB have reduced that to 8.

Darn PTB. They are messing up my data!

> You might need to add DwarfPlanets.

I opted not to because in the overall scope of the hierarchy, it didn't seem important enough. And having just one item under the classification of dwarfPlanets seemed wasteful. I am thinking of delaying this level of distinction until later. Surely there are more important things to catalog first, aren't there :)

> (Would the Earth's Moon qualify? Astronomically speaking, the Earth-Moon system is
> more a double planet than a primary / satellite system.)

Considering it's mass is 0.012 that of the Earth, it doesn't meet my threshold, but I am no inter-galactic expert. What I will do is add the moon's mass, thus allowing applications to make its own decision. Earth's mass and circumference is already there.

> > US States & Nicknames (50)
>
> What about Territories and Protectorates, like the Marshall Islands, U.S.
> Virgin Islands, Guam and Puerto Rico?

Ok, I'll add the ones listed above.

> Foreign embassies?

I can add a few of the more important ones? Which ones are your favorites :)

> What about the District of Columbia?

DC is in the db. It is classified as a city. It is usa's captial. It has some population stats. I felt it was important to include the place where my taxes disappears each year! That reminds me to catalog all those croo...er politicians on the Hill.

PS. Thanks for your suggestions. Received on Mon Jan 15 2007 - 03:14:09 CET

Original text of this message