Re: How to represent a Specification in the Relational model

From: Cimode <cimode_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 10 Jan 2007 07:27:36 -0800

S. Robert James wrote:
> Thanks for the replies. I see how this will solve problem #2. But
> what's the solution to problem #1? An order can be specified either for
> a product (Toaster), without specifying a particular subproduct (any
> Toaster); or an order can be specified for a particular subproduct (GE
> Toaster 3000). How are both of those orders modelled?

Most of what has been written here is to be taken with strong caution as there is no real way to validate or invalidate proposed solutions online, given the little information provided. The advice given about the problem being conceptual rather than logical seems sound however. The rest should be taken with strong caution.

Your best course of action: read a book about database theory modeling to assert quickly what propositions may logically define your database as an exclusive collection of facts. Received on Wed Jan 10 2007 - 16:27:36 CET

Original text of this message