Re: how to build a database from scratch

From: DBMS_Plumber <paul_geoffrey_brown_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 Dec 2006 17:01:54 -0800

paul c wrote:

> This is getting tiresome, but I'll bite - until about 1990, .....

   blah ... blah ... blah ... description of ARIES in DB2 snipped.

   Or do you not know what 'predicate locking' is?

> > But so what? None of this has anything to do with how to implement
> > B-Trees. Please keep to the topic.
> >

> Nor does any talk of physical behaviour, such as latency. Ditto.

  WTF? A B-Tree is a physical artifact! It stores data on disk. It has to support more than one reader / write at the same time, while still providing the operations.

   How can you NOT talk about physical things - data stuctures, algorithms, bits, bytes etc - and still have anything relevant to say about "how to implement a DBMS"? Received on Sat Dec 09 2006 - 02:01:54 CET

Original text of this message