Re: how to build a database from scratch

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 01:08:05 GMT

DBMS_Plumber wrote:
> paul c wrote:
>

>>This is getting tiresome, but I'll bite - until about 1990, .....

> blah ... blah ... blah ... description of ARIES in DB2 snipped.
>
> Or do you not know what 'predicate locking' is?
>

>>>But so what? None of this has anything to do with how to implement
>>>B-Trees. Please keep to the topic.
>>>

>>Nor does any talk of physical behaviour, such as latency.  Ditto.

> WTF? A B-Tree is a physical artifact! It stores data on disk. It has
> to support more than one reader / write at the same time, while still
> providing the operations.

If you would care to spell out whatever "WTF" means, perhaps the rest of us would have a better idea of what you think a plumber is.

> How can you NOT talk about physical things - data stuctures,
> algorithms, bits, bytes etc - and still have anything relevant to say
> about "how to implement a DBMS"?

It's easy with practice, you must try it. With enough effort it will make things much simpler for you (which is the sensible goal, even if most marketing types don't know how to make a profit by selling simpler).

p Received on Sat Dec 09 2006 - 02:08:05 CET

Original text of this message