Re: Whatever happened to BS-12?

From: paul c <toledobythesea_at_oohay.ac>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 01:44:54 GMT

jlfoster wrote:
> "Roy Hann" <specially_at_processed.almost.meat> wrote in message <news:8JidnWPKlZm9O8HYRVnyvw@pipex.net>...

>>>It was good enough.
>>
>>And it had an IBM badge on it.  For modern readers, consider how today the Microsoft badge protects the technology buyer from
>>rebuke when it turns out badly.

> Wasn't BS/12 also developed by IBM?

Yes, and Hugh Darwen (of third manifesto fame) was one of its developers for some years - I don't know if he was chagrined when IBM then assigned him to the SQL standards committee. There is a brief summary of BS12 written by Darwen somewhere on the web (and another by David Maier in one of his books, sorry I don't remember where and which). Maybe that's where Darwen mentions how the Yank IBM lab took a look and decided to go their own way (I suspect because they didn't understand it, Darwen is probably too polite to say that).

I believe some of the early bright relational lights such as Stephen Todd also worked on BS12. If the microprocessor and copious main memory had been dominant then, I wonder if developments might have ended up quite different.

p Received on Mon Nov 20 2006 - 02:44:54 CET

Original text of this message