Re: Bob needs a new catchphrase

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 03:06:48 GMT

paul c wrote:

> BobTheDataBaseBoy wrote:
>

>> To quote Allen Holub (a coder):  "Just say No to XML".  I will add, in
>> all its forms.

> The thing is, a bunch of people were asleep at the switch when the
> internet's growth underlined the need for better transfer formats, so as
> often happens the first attempt even though inferior prevailed.

I respectfully suggest no new transfer formats were needed in the first place. To the ignorant, everything is a novel idea. Or perhaps better: those who ignore history are doomed to re-invent it.

   As
> usual, the crowd took over and started using xml for all kinds of
> nonsense, even though it was flawed from the start - I remember one of
> the authors acknowledging how fat, byte-wise, it was and saying that
> this could be remedied via compression. Some remedy, just jobs for the
> boys.

Like the Holy Grail, the quest for silver bullets is eternal. Received on Tue Oct 31 2006 - 04:06:48 CET

Original text of this message