Re: inventory management problem

From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:23:13 GMT

"prabuinet" <prabuinet_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1161066897.115974.220930_at_f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Hi Bob,
>
> I dont know (for u) how my questions looks like asking others to do my
> job..
> please look at my question again...
>
> " My problem is whether it would affect the speed of the application...
>
> or is there any other neat way to do this? "
>
> I'm just asking will the tables i created would affect the performance
> of my application.
> An experienced dba would just answer my question in seconds..

Excuse me. An experienced dba would respond as follows.

  "It depends. You haven't outlined the transaction analysis that determines which transactions have to run fast, the volume of data, the physical resources you have available, and the DBMS you are using as a platform. You also haven't outlined the measures that you can take for performance tuning, without altering the table design."

You may have given some of these details in earlier responses. They just didn't jump out at me, and I didn't pore over your initial question carefully enough to get all the information out of it. And that is why I did not respond. It has nothing to do with "doing your job for you" as far as I'm concerned. No one else in this newsgroup speaks for me when I remain silent.

We all learn by asking questions and making mistakes. You are probably no exception. Your background in OS will be extremely helpful when you get to the more advanced topics in database design, but it can actually be a distraction when learning the basics of database theory. I know because I've been there.

There are competent theoreticians in this newsgroup that have never designed a production database.
There are extremely competent dbas in the field who have never designed a production database.
Knowledge of database design doesn't come automatically with either of those two specialties, nor from the years that one has spent as a programmer.

Having said all that, I'll take a look at your original question, and see if I have anything to add to your knowledge. I rather suspect that knowledge about how inventory management really works will be more germane than knowledge of the consequences of table design choices. I have never managed a large physical inventory, and I have never worked in a database environment where that was the major focus. Received on Tue Oct 17 2006 - 14:23:13 CEST

Original text of this message