Re: Proposal: 6NF

From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 03:04:58 GMT

"dawn" <dawnwolthuis_at_gmail.com> wrote in message news:1161016610.873974.21850_at_h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...
> vc wrote:
> > Jan Hidders wrote:

Is it

> > > Ok. I'm holding on.

> > > When I say "the set of integers" I mean "the set of integers" and not
> > > "the set of integers plus some operations" which is a tuple and not a
> > > set.
> >
> > When one says "the set of integers", one usually refers to a set of
> > things possessing some properties, addition/multiplication/subtraction
> > operations obeying certain laws.

> In case another voice would be helpful, if someone says group or ring
> of integers, for example, then I figure there are operations included,
> but when someone says "set" then it is a set, with no implication of
> operators, even if I have some awareness of various possible operators.
>

> If you refer to your set of integers as Z, however, my first
> inclination is that you mean the ring of integers (set plus + and *
> operations), but I don't know if that is a solid convention or due to a
> flawed memory.
>

> > If one says "the set of integers" and
> > excludes one or more operations, then one makes the mistake of
> > misnaming the structure one is talking about.
>

> Disagree. By calling it a set, you are not hauling any operators on
> the elements of the set into the description, except perhaps in very
> casual conversation (I think you mentioned grade school). Just my two
> cents, in case it is helpful. --dawn

Agree with dawn. When I first learned set theory, they used the words "group" and "field" to describe
a set with one or two operators defined on it. The word "set" does not,
AFAIK, imply any operations.

With one possible exception. The elements of a set have identity. Otherwise you can't distinguish them.
The operator "identify x" (whatever that means) has to be defined over all sets. Received on Tue Oct 17 2006 - 05:04:58 CEST

Original text of this message