Re: approaches for embedding a data language in a general purpose language

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 Oct 2006 14:11:33 -0700

On Oct 9, 8:58 am, Bob Badour <bbad..._at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> > There are various different approaches one can take for embedding
> > a domain specific lanuage into a general purpose programming language.
> > Common examples are regular expression libraries inside languages
> > that don't directly support regular expressions, and, directly to our
> > purpose, SQL inside Java or C/C++.
>
> > The three main approaches I can think of are:
>
> You forgot 4) Use a compiler that directly compiles the data sublanguage
> and uses the same data type system as the dbms.

Sure; that's the way forward. However, that approach will *also* have to
consider compatibility with legacy languages and systems. And for that, you're going to need some other strategy, such as the ones I enumerated.

Anyone have any opinions, pro or con, about embedded SQL?

Marshall Received on Mon Oct 09 2006 - 23:11:33 CEST

Original text of this message