Re: Who first (publicly) asserted 3NF is "good enough"?

From: Jan Hidders <hidders_at_gmail.com>
Date: 19 Sep 2006 08:39:57 -0700

-CELKO- wrote:
> I was thinking of Ron Fagin's proof that
> 1) Table is in 3NF
> 2) every key is one column

For those that want to know more about that:

http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/fagin/tods92.pdf#search=%22simple%205nf%20fagin%20date%22

> The phrase "all keys" was what Chris Date used when he wrote a short
> piece about this in DATABASE PROGRAMMING & DESIGN back in 1992

They used it in the way you just did? In the TODS article they also used it, but in the meaning of "the set of all attributes is the only candidate key". Can I be so bold as to suggest that you perhaps misremembered? :-)

  • Jan Hidders