Re: Multiple keys and transition constraints

From: J M Davitt <jdavitt_at_aeneas.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 12:45:46 GMT

Brian Selzer wrote:

> "J M Davitt" <jdavitt_at_aeneas.net> wrote in message
>

>>Brian Selzer wrote:
>>
>>>"JOG" <jog_at_cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote in message

>>>Well, that's the dilemma, there are two subjects because there are two
>>>keys. Consider the following relation:
>>
>>[Why do you flog yourself with this nonsense?!]
>>
>>"subjects." "keys." Hmm... re: r v. r':
>>
>>B is a key, you say? Well, the same determinant
>>values in B have different dependent values. So?
>>
>>A is a key, you say? Well, the same determinant
>>values in A have different dependent values. So?
>>
>>If that design doesn't make you happy, concoct
>>one that will.
>

> I am completely at a loss as to the content and purpose of your post: What
> nonsense?  Are you questioning whether A and B are keys?  Are you saying
> that transition constraints are irrelevant?  What is your point?  Mind
> reading isn't my forte, so could you please be a little more specific?

It seems that you keep presenting some design fragments then complaining about what the design won't let you do or what the design will let you do - when you want to or don't want to - and then seem to ponder the question, "Why doesn't the model protect me from my design?"

Look, I'm no happier than the next guy with the cacophony of constraints (key, referential, column, row, table, &c.) one finds in the literature but I see no need to try to invent another variety -- especially when the problem these new constraints are supposed to remedy is really due to a shortcoming in the design.

Just like that "replacement v. modification" issue you raised. Received on Fri Sep 15 2006 - 14:45:46 CEST

Original text of this message