Re: I have no blog

From: Larry Coon <lcnospam_at_assist.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:49:09 -0700

Evan Keel wrote:

> Pretty fuuny. This guy/gal assumed your personality and even replies like
> you do."Post DDL". What ist your next step?

I don't think it's a case of "replies like you do," I think that page took some of Celko's actual replies on cdt and repackaged them to look like a blog.

Not being an attorney, I have no idea whether what they did was legal. I don't think it's illegal to store and present your posts on a web page -- for example, Google Groups does it for pretty much every post ever made on Usenet, and there are myriad examples of sites that repackage Usenet posts in specific subject areas. Example for one of my posts:

  http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?t=542030

So if THOSE are legal, then is this pseudo-blog legal? It looks like they're just repackaging Celko's Usenet posts, as Google Groups et al have done. They are still crediting Celko. The only things that may cross the line are: 1) They are significantly altering the presentation; and 2) They are including his likeness.

Larry Coon
University of California Received on Wed Sep 13 2006 - 17:49:09 CEST

Original text of this message