Re: Terminology question

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 12:22:36 GMT

pamelafluente_at_libero.it wrote:

> Hi Bob. My perspective is that of an application programmer. I just
> wanted simple names to put on my interface to denote those objects, for
> easy identification from the user part.

In that case, I suggest you are asking in the wrong newsgroup. The question is more appropriate in a newsgroup devoted to usability or human-computer interaction (HCI).

> For instance, the user might have a collection of objects he reuses to
> get connected to a DBMS (those I call "connections").

There are a number of names that have been used for similar things: channels, connections, sessions. For some reason, connect seems to have taken hold among database implementations. I find "connecting to a database" wrong-minded and borderline anthropomorphizing.

> I was wondering how to call the object which stores both connection
> info and the user "rule" to extract data (usually a SELECT or a pl/sql
> program) . It represents at a logical level a bunch of data. Only when
> actually executed it "becomes" real data.

In a database theory newsgroup, the logical level means something very specific. It strikes me that the artifacts you describe are physical artifacts of your application's implementation and not logical at all.

> -P
>
> PS
> btw, I am asking because I am italian :)

That should give you an advantage over native speakers of english.