Re: Design question

From: <Free>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 21:42:19 -0000

> Hi all, not sure this is right group. Hoping someone
> could give me so advice on my database design.
>
> What is the best way to join these tables
>
> Short version goes like this....
>
> I have tables : Person or Employee, Dependent (person is
> fk in dep table) then I have a bunch of tables related to
> insurance policies/events
>
> what is the best way to join these two together given this
> scenario
> A person can be an insured with many covered dependents on
> one policy A person can be insured with one or more
> policies A dependent can be the only insured policy holder
> but we must know what employee this relates back to.
>
> I was thinking an insured persons table with person id and
> dependent id - but this bothers me for some reason....any
> suggestions?
> Hope this was clear....
>
> Thanks in advance for your time!

A Subscriber is the policy holder. A Member is a covered dependent but could also be the Subscriber. So the Subscriber could also be the Member but not all Members are Subscribers. Essentially, they're all roles for an Insured Person. Most claim systems only check the Subscribers Policy and Coverages to determine whether they should pay the Claim. Received on Fri Aug 04 2006 - 23:42:19 CEST

Original text of this message