Re: Establishing a relationship with the unknown

From: Kenneth Downs <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 14:06:10 -0400

michael_at_preece.net wrote:

> Bob Badour wrote:

>> michael_at_preece.net wrote:
>>
>> > Hello
>> >
>> > I have a requirement and I just can't figure out how to implement it
>> > using Pick.
>> >
>> > The thing is... I don't know anything about it.
>> >
>> > I figure I must be able to implement it using an RDBMS, given that
>> > they, unlike all of the Pick flavours I am familiar with, allow you to
>> > persist unknown and missing values.
>> >
>> > So - the question is... How would you go about this? Do I need more
>> > than one table? How many relations? Should I research using relvars,
>> > due to there being an infinite number of unknown and missing values?
>> >
>> > Best Regards,
>> > Mike.
>> >
>> > PS. LOL
>>
>> Mike, you are an idiot. Quit wasting everybody's time. Plonk.
>
> Plonk? Was that the sound of Oscar's lid? Just as I was expecting.
>
> LOL.

Yeah, it ain't much of a distinction to get plonked by ole Bob. Wish I could brag about my status as a plonkee, but I seem to share it with over half of the citizens here.

But your question is in fact extremely vague, can you give a specific example of some unknown value? All commercial products out there allow for NULL values, but sometimes a simple empty string or numeric zero serves the same purpose. Can you give us any details?

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.