Re: why hierarchy?

From: Keith H Duggar <duggar_at_alum.mit.edu>
Date: 26 Jul 2006 16:06:28 -0700

Neo wrote:
> paul c wrote :
> > From the link, apparently 'new', 'createWRR' and
> > 'create' are functions ...
>
> Yes, these are "functions" similar to CREATE, INSERT,
> SELECT, DELETE and UPDATE in SQL/RM.
>
> > ... although it seems to talk only of syntax.
>
> Yes, kind of like a car manual: Turn steering wheel to
> turn car. It doesn't explain how it is accomplished.

It seems you are confusing /syntax/, /semantics/, and /implementation/. "Turn steering wheel to turn car" defines (partly perhaps) the "meaning" ie /semantics/ of the function (or perhaps function turn applied to argument wheel) of "turn steering wheel". "how it is accomplished" is part of /implementation/ neither /semantics/ nor /syntax/.

This is basic stuff and confusing them makes it more difficult for others to understand you. So try not to confuse them. You can easily find numerous resources to help you understand the concepts of syntax and semantics more clearly.

For example, if you take roughly that "what = semantics", "how done = implementation", "how communicated = syntax", then Paul is saying you spend inordinate amounts of time showing "how to communicate" but very little time showing /what/ is being communicated. You leave it up to us to infer the /what/ or /semantics/ by essentially guessing. That is inefficient and annoying. The fact that you cannot clearly and succinctly state your data model and semantics of your "dbs" functions, I think, tells a great deal.

  • Keith -- Fraud 6 --