Re: Database design ideas or templates...

From: Paul <paul_at_see.my.sig.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 00:01:03 +0100

Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca> wrote:

> > You didn't mention your db of choice. Nor your OS. Nor your RAM.

> What the hell makes you think any of that has relevance to a theory
> newsgroup?

The guy is obviously looking for *_practical_* pointers for a solution to a problem he has. I didn't get the impression that his question was all that theory based or that he was interested in discussing the finer points of the relational model as opposed to <take_your_pick>.

As such, practical *_solutions_* are dictated by the nature of the OS, RAM and RDBMS that he has - or would you disagree?

If he has 256 MB of RAM, I wouldn't be relying on Oracle in a production environment, whereas Firebird will happily run on 64MB of RAM, as will PostgreSQL.

If he's using Windows (likely given that the other "db" was Access), then that precludes certain solutions also.

If you didn't give out to him for asking a non-theoretical question, then you shouldn't give out to me for answering in a non-theoretical way.

Paul...

--

plinehan __at__ yahoo __dot__ __com__

XP Pro, SP 2,

Oracle, 9.2.0.1.0 (Enterprise Ed.)
Interbase 6.0.1.0;

When asking database related questions, please give other posters
some clues, like operating system, version of db being used and DDL.
The exact text and/or number of error messages is useful (!= "it didn't work!").
Thanks.

Furthermore, as a courtesy to those who spend
time analysing and attempting to help, please
do not top post.