Re: OO versus RDB

From: Daniel Parker <danielaparker_at_gmail.com>
Date: 6 Jul 2006 04:43:31 -0700

H. S. Lahman wrote:
> Similarly, functional programming represents the best
> approach I know of to algorithmic processing when requirements are
> nonvolatile.

I doubt if you can justify that statement. The classical matrix and integration algorithms, for example, are written in languages like FORTRAN, ALGOL, C and C++, and would be extremely difficult to port to functional languages, relying as they do on a sequence of mutations to data structures. If you do a search for work on functional languages and numerical algorithms, you won't find much, apart from experimental work.

Regards,
Daniel Parker Received on Thu Jul 06 2006 - 13:43:31 CEST

Original text of this message