Re: SQL for presentation

From: J M Davitt <jdavitt_at_aeneas.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 01:41:14 GMT

Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:
> J M Davitt a écrit :
> (snip)
>

>>> In web applications, the presentation - HTML - is a data structure.
>>

>> HTML is a markup language.  I would hesitate to call it a
>> structure simply because it has a hierarchic tag scheme.

> It's yet common in web application to have an internal tree representing
> the "hierarchic tag scheme". In Javascript, this is called the DOM
> (Document Object Model). Some web template systems also create this
> tree, then transform it to it's textual (HTML) representation. AFAIK, in
> any CS101 course or book, a tree is a data structure.

Of course it is. And I don't doubt that one can generate HTML from collections of such -- as I mentioned: I've done this with two databases. And I've written plenty of Javascript.

So, yes, an HTML document is a structure. But HTML isn't very rigorous and.in no way is the structure of an HTML document comparable to the structure of the relational model or, more appropriately, PDF.