Re: What databases have taught me

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 17:09:10 GMT

Marshall wrote:

> Bob Badour wrote:
>

>>Marshall wrote:
>>
>>>I also note (perhaps recklessly) than no dynamically typed
>>>language has ever achieved any significant marketshare,
>>>and that historically languages trickle down from academia
>>>and research institutions, and not up from the trenches.
>>
>>Have you forgotten VisiCalc, Clipper and Turbo Pascal?

> I was speaking of trends rather than laws. Certainly Perl
> came up from the trenches. But I would rate Pascal as
> having come from Wirth. (Is TurboPascal a different
> language than Pascal?)

Pascal went nowhere for a decade. Then a $99 compiler with an IDE upset the whole compiler market. I am not sure whether that was a good thing or a bad thing.

  I don't know much about clipper
> but I can't imagine its market share for developing software
> was ever all *that* large.

As I recall, clipper was nearly ubiquitous in the late 1980's and early 1990's. It's demise was pretty quick though.

> But I will have to grant you the speadsheet! They are quite
> popular, are entirely commercial in origin, and I believe
> isomorphic to a functional programming language.

Interesting. Received on Thu Jun 29 2006 - 19:09:10 CEST

Original text of this message