Re: What databases have taught me

From: Marshall <>
Date: 29 Jun 2006 08:56:01 -0700

Bob Badour wrote:
> Marshall wrote:
> >
> > I also note (perhaps recklessly) than no dynamically typed
> > language has ever achieved any significant marketshare,
> > and that historically languages trickle down from academia
> > and research institutions, and not up from the trenches.
> Have you forgotten VisiCalc, Clipper and Turbo Pascal?

I was speaking of trends rather than laws. Certainly Perl came up from the trenches. But I would rate Pascal as having come from Wirth. (Is TurboPascal a different language than Pascal?) I don't know much about clipper but I can't imagine its market share for developing software was ever all *that* large.

But I will have to grant you the speadsheet! They are quite popular, are entirely commercial in origin, and I believe isomorphic to a functional programming language.

Marshall Received on Thu Jun 29 2006 - 17:56:01 CEST

Original text of this message