Re: Just for the record

From: erk <eric.kaun_at_gmail.com>
Date: 28 Jun 2006 11:44:16 -0700

Bob Badour wrote:
> Marshall wrote:
> > Well, I've been trying to figure out what specifically you're referring
> > to, and I'm not having much luck. The author(s) you mention seem
> > to be associated with Aspect Oriented Programming, which, although
> > I have no particular reason to think it worth my attention, nonetheless
> > has not (as far as I know) *redefined* any terms, but rather seems
> > to have made up their own terms. But perhaps terms such as
> > "aspects" and "cross cutting" had an earlier meaning I was not
> > aware of? Or perhaps I'm just missing your direction entirely.
>
> I am particularly disgusted by their perversion of Dijkstra's
> intellectual discipline of separating of concerns.

Agreed, and having worked in Lisp's Meta Object Protocol (MOP), Kiczales should know much better. While MOP and Lisp are far from perfect, their support for metaprogramming doesn't require anything near the intellectual mutilations required to cram these "concepts" into Java.

I'd like to hear more, though - is there a particular EWD that got you thinking about this?

  • erk