Re: What databases have taught me

From: Bob Badour <>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 18:36:41 GMT

erk wrote:

> Marshall wrote:

>>I believe a structurally, statically typed language with a
>>product type as its fundamental collection, (along with
>>some relational operators) would be *most* interesting.

> I agree completely, though the product type gives you (essentially)
> tuples; the next obvious step would be proper relations as (minimally)
> powersets of these product types. I think that those operations would
> fall out nicely from the product type.
> Still missing are constraints; however, I have a white paper burning a
> hole in my book bag, related to this very thing. Witness Alloy
> constraints and model elements as annotations on Java code:

I don't have time to read this paper right now. Recalling the last paper you cited referencing Alloy, I didn't see anything in it that I thought competed with predicate calculus. Are you suggesting it has some advantage for constraints over a WFF ? Received on Wed Jun 28 2006 - 20:36:41 CEST

Original text of this message