Re: model inherited object

From: <j.andersen.lv_at_gmail.com>
Date: 28 Jun 2006 03:53:06 -0700

Bob Badour wrote:
> j.andersen.lv_at_gmail.com wrote:

--- snip ---

> > Hi Phil,
> >
> > My suggestion is to use three tables! One for the objects, one for the
> > attributes and one for the classifier defining the objects and
> > attributes,
> > as well as domain values, ie. OBJECTLIST, ATTRIBUTELIST, DOMAIN1LIST,
> > DOMAIN2LIST, etc.
>
> And how do you propose to declare the integrity constraints to the dbms?
> Simple foreign key references suddenly require cartwheels and backflips.
>
> I reiterate my earlier observation regarding ignorant cranks.

Hi Bob,

I do not care about that, because that is up to Phil! I only show Phil that it is possible to store an object, for example an address, depending on the type.

Address can f.ex. be a street address (streetName, houseNumber, zipCode, cityName, etc.), or a postbox address (postboxNumber, zipCode, cityName), or a foreign address (plainAddress).

By having the above tables, it is possible to store the address no matter what type of address it is.

What would your own suggestion be for the solution?

Best wishes,

   John, Latvia Received on Wed Jun 28 2006 - 05:53:06 CDT