Re: What databases have taught me

From: Robert Martin <>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 22:50:21 -0700

On 2006-06-23 04:48:27 -0700, Kenneth Downs <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock> said:

> wrote:

>> I share the same experience too. Its a very unpleasant exerience to
>> finally realize that what you believed in for many years is just an
>> illusion. But I still think that there are some limited areas, such as
>> building collection classes (maps, lists, etc), embedded software or
>> GUI components, in which OO have some benefits.
> I've come to the same conclusion: OO is a really nifty GUI tool.  In all
> other places (within context of biz software) it is disqualified for use by
> the KISS principle.

I find this conclusion fascinating. I cannot imagine a system in which I would not want the ability to use dynamic polymorphism to decouple modules from each other. OO has little to do with GUIs, and everything to do with dependency management.

Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email:
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:
The Agile Transition Experts  | web:
800-338-6716                  |