Re: What databases have taught me

From: Robert Martin <unclebob_at_objectmentor.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 22:50:21 -0700

On 2006-06-23 04:48:27 -0700, Kenneth Downs <knode.wants.this_at_see.sigblock> said:

> frebe73_at_gmail.com wrote:
>

>> I share the same experience too. Its a very unpleasant exerience to
>> finally realize that what you believed in for many years is just an
>> illusion. But I still think that there are some limited areas, such as
>> building collection classes (maps, lists, etc), embedded software or
>> GUI components, in which OO have some benefits.
>>

> I've come to the same conclusion: OO is a really nifty GUI tool.  In all
> other places (within context of biz software) it is disqualified for use by
> the KISS principle.

I find this conclusion fascinating. I cannot imagine a system in which I would not want the ability to use dynamic polymorphism to decouple modules from each other. OO has little to do with GUIs, and everything to do with dependency management.

--
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email: unclebob_at_objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:  www.butunclebob.com