Re: Bob's 'Self-aggrandizing ignorant' Count: Was: What databases have taught me

From: Bruno Desthuilliers <bdesth.quelquechose_at_free.quelquepart.fr>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 04:54:03 +0200

Bob Badour a écrit :
(snip)

> OO was invented for simulation and was first expressed in a language
> called Simula. Stroustrop later invented C++

Simula : 1962/1967.
C++ : 1979/1985.

Strange enough, you forgot this one:

Smalltalk : 1971/1980.

First language labelled as "object-oriented", and to have all the canonical features of OO.

> as a variant of C for
> exactly the same purpose: simulation.

"The specific tasks that caused me to start designing and implementing C++ (initially called "C with Classes") had to do with distributing operating system facilities across a network."

http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq.html#why

> Stroustrop used the same inclusion
> criteria when transforming the C computational model into OO

"C++ is a multi-paradigm programming language that supports Object-Oriented and other useful styles of programming"

http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq.html#Object-Oriented-language

> and in fact
> borrowed the features from Simula.

"Standard C++ and the design and programming styles it supports owe a debt to the functional languages, especially to ML"

http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq.html#advanced

NB : to be honest :
http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq.html#from-Smalltalk

> The whole purpose of a simulation is to create a large unpredictable
> state machine

Possibly. But simulation was not the purpose of Smalltalk (first language labelled as "object-oriented") nor AFAICT of C++

"When I first developed C++, AT&T built systems of greater complexity and with greater reliability requirements than most organizations. Consequently, we had to influence the market and help set standards that meet our needs - or else we wouldn't have the tools to build our systems. "

http://www.research.att.com/~bs/bs_faq.html#why-ATT

Now waiting for the usual insults... Received on Wed Jun 28 2006 - 04:54:03 CEST

Original text of this message