Re: definitions for conceptual, logical, physical

From: Erwin <e.smout_at_myonline.be>
Date: 26 Jun 2006 03:06:18 -0700

Marshall wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We use these terms a lot: conceptual, logical, physical.
>
> I believe I have a good intuitive understanding of these
> terms and how they are used. However, an intuitive
> understanding and a formal definition are not the same
> things!
>
> Anyone have formal definitions for the above terms?
> Citations?
>

> Marshall

I like the FP line of thought here :

"conceptual" = informal at the semantic level. e.g. E/R diagrams with named attributes without a formal domain/type definition. "logical" = formal at the semantic level. e.g. a complete D spec of all relvar definitions and all applicable constraints and all what-have-you (type definitions, ...)
"physical" = all the required formal definitions that have to do with storage/"persistence". Received on Mon Jun 26 2006 - 12:06:18 CEST

Original text of this message