Re: Example of expression bias?

From: J M Davitt <jdavitt_at_aeneas.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:39:01 GMT

[snip]

This is confusing; in this post, the posters' name was snipped and the quoting indicators seem broken. Going back in the thread, I found:

Cimode:

>>>An attribute does not belong to a data type. A data type is the set of
>>>rules that apply to attribute for saying whether or not values in
>>>tuples are permissible values in the system.

Tony D:

>>If an attribute doesn't belong (for want of a better word) to a data
>>type, how do you specify what the acceptable values for it are ? Your
>>second sentence moves in a single breath from attributes to tuples to
>>the system as a whole.

Cimode:

> Whatch out with semantics...
> *belong* suppose EXCLUSIVE relationship between the two...A data type
> definition may be *mutualized* by several attributes.

How is it that data types constrain values in tuples? Did you mean to say values in scalars?

What, then, does "belong" mean? More to the point, perhaps: what does "not belong" mean? Can you elaborate on this "exclusive relationship" - that, I presume, you feel does not exist - between two... What? Attributes and types?

What is mutualization? How do attributes mutualize types?

[snip] Received on Wed Jun 21 2006 - 15:39:01 CEST

Original text of this message