From: Robert Martin <>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 14:11:37 -0400

On 2006-06-13 13:04:01 -0400, "Marshall" <> said:

> Robert Martin wrote:

>> Databases are data centric.  While they have behaviors; those behaviors
>> are related to data management.   Applications are behavior centric,
>> while they manipulate data, the things that do to that data are rich
>> with business rules and formatting behaviors.

> I'm curious: do you have a definition of "behavior"? I hear this word
> a lot and I'm not sure exactly what is intended. Is a method
> behavior? Is a class behavior? What about a function? Is behavior
> a transformation of data? Wouldn't this make it a synonym for
> calculation?

Not quite. A calculation does not necessarily change the state of the input variables. Behavior is probably best described as a controlled change of state. i.e. a turing machine.

Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email:
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:
The Agile Transition Experts  | web:
800-338-6716                  |