Re: Example of expression bias?

From: Tony D <tonyisyourpal_at_netscape.net>
Date: 20 Jun 2006 04:12:12 -0700

Cimode wrote:
> The time PAC-MAN eater has striken again with his nothingless crab
> mind...

If it's "nothing-less", that there must be "something" there. Thank you.

> This is a database and data management theory NG...

In theory at least. This *was* a question specifically about higher order functions.

> I have heard this
> kind of BS argumentation about LISP about a zillion times...

And clearly, your response to it is still to fall back on your standard vocabulary and thought processes/reactions ("BS", yet again).

>If you
> believe that LISP or other BS functional buzz word, have a foundation
> in *lambda calculus*

It's not belief. It's a simple fact. Do keep up. (Oh, and there's that "BS" again...)

> and could be useful, you have to specify in what
> area computing it could be relevant: logical implementation? physical
> implementation...

Why ? Anyway, I find FPs to be useful for data type definition, operator definition, general purpose work, that kind of stuff. Y'know, *programming*. That activity you indulge in when you use programming languages.

> Then you have to establish how *lambda calculus*
> could be a better abstract foundation for implementation than some
> other area of mathematics....

I could fall back on the standard c.d.t. response of "educate yourself". But, I'll pause to note that the lambda calculus was the first formalism used to prove undecideability back in the 1930s. It allows reasoning about programs with the minimum of initial concepts, and is universally applicable, being Turing machine equivalent. Really, just *start* at wikipedia then *move on* from there.

> You did not do any of this and neither did Marshall...

You didn't read the poster's question, obviously.

> Somebody who truly believes that a programming that's an implementation
> could define a computing abstract foundation such as RM is just simply
> delluding himself...

Sorry, this is just garbled nonsense. Try again. Received on Tue Jun 20 2006 - 13:12:12 CEST

Original text of this message