Re: Foreign key problem

From: -CELKO- <jcelko212_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 15 Jun 2006 12:43:16 -0700

>> People sometimes build databases whose subject matter is meta-data. <<

Yes, and it is usually an EAV mistake

>> A data-based data dictionary is an example. Jay Dee may be doing something along these lines. <<

I do not think so. A data dictionary would have validation ("ZIP codes are five digits") and verification ("ZIP codes and states match up this way!") modeled in it. There would be external data sources ("we buy ZIP data tapes from the USPS every six months"). There would be syntax rules ("the following suffixes are allowed on data element names.."). Etc.

I have done a schema for DFD which was a lot of meta-data type stuff ("a process must have at least one inflow, and at least one outflow", "In and out flows must balance at all levels of abstraction", etc.) But that is not what we have here.

This looks like a straight attempt at the Schema Information tables, with some worry about physical implementation details. What am I missing here? Received on Thu Jun 15 2006 - 21:43:16 CEST

Original text of this message