From: Robert Martin <>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:20:56 +0200

On 2006-06-04 20:41:40 +0200, said:

>> In 20 years time, I have never seen a system replacing the application
>> code while retaining the DBMS,

> I see it every day. Rewriting old COBOL applications to Java for
> examples. But the database schema is still the same...

I agree. It's not uncommon to see applications rewritten to use the same schema. I'm working on one at the moment.

On the other hand it would be a rare system whose schema did not change from time to time. When that happens, it would be nice if the application programs were partitioned into changeable part, and invariant parts.

Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email:
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:
The Agile Transition Experts  | web:
800-338-6716                  |