From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 7 Jun 2006 13:13:22 -0700

bruno at modulix wrote:
> Marshall wrote:
> > bruno at modulix wrote:

> This required an answer, so...
>

> >>Had you paid any attention to what I
> >>wrote, you would have understand that you're actually talking about some
> >>other (existing or fantasmatic) person - but not about me.
> >
> > In colloquial English, the indefinite pronoun "one" has almost entirely
> > been replaced by the definite pronoun "you", even for use with an
> > indefinite person. So much so that when one uses "one" one appears
> > somewhat stuffy. When I said "you" in most of what you quoted,
> > I meant exactly "some other (existing or fantasmatic) person"
> > and not bruno at modulix.
>
> Ok, this is something I didn't know. This is somewhat misleading IMHO -
> so please pardon my confusion here, and anything offensive I said based
> on my misunderstanding.

No problem.

I agree that it is confusing; it is not a good direction for the language
to have gone. Perhaps in technical conversations I should prefer to be precise at the risk of sounding stuffy, rather than simply choosing to sound modern.

> And thanks for having made this clearer.

Not at all.

Marshall Received on Wed Jun 07 2006 - 22:13:22 CEST

Original text of this message