From: binaries <binaries_at_binaries.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 18:28:35 +0100

On 2006-05-30 23:11:05 +0100, "Marshall" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> said:

> As far as it being widely known, I would not agree. The two
> words are virtually synonymous in common usage.
>
> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=information
> information: "A collection of ... data"
>
> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=data
> data: "factual information"

The definition I retain from Day One learning Computer Studies in secondary school (or high-school, for yanks) is this:

Data is unprocessed information. Data is what goes in the computer as input, and information is what comes out as output.

FWIW. Eddy Received on Sun Jun 04 2006 - 19:28:35 CEST

Original text of this message