From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 1 Jun 2006 23:58:15 -0700

Robert Martin wrote:
> On 2006-05-31 11:50:20 -0500, "topmind" <topmind_at_technologist.com> said:
>
> > I don't see how the issue of proprietary SQL is any different than a
> > proprietary app language.
>
> It's not. I want the application to be isolated from the DB; and I
> want the DB isolated from the application. I wan't the application
> programmers to be able to change from Oracle to MySQL to Flat files. I
> want the DB to have the freedom to support Java, C#, C++ or Python.
>
> Note the symmetry.

I note a tremendous *lack* of symmetry!

Java, C#, C++, and Python are comparably expressive, and at comparable levels of abstraction. (I can hear the screams of the language advocates already.) Sure, Python has list comprehensions and C++ has a turing-complete generic type system, but they're all fundamentally imperative and procedural.

On the other side, you put together Oracle and flat files! Oracle has natural join; flat files have what exactly? seek()?!

Marshall Received on Fri Jun 02 2006 - 08:58:15 CEST

Original text of this message