From: Robert Martin <>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 01:10:30 -0500

On 2006-05-31 11:50:20 -0500, "topmind" <> said:

> I don't see how the issue of proprietary SQL is any different than a
> proprietary app language.

It's not. I want the application to be isolated from the DB; and I want the DB isolated from the application. I wan't the application programmers to be able to change from Oracle to MySQL to Flat files. I want the DB to have the freedom to support Java, C#, C++ or Python.

Note the symmetry.

Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob)  | email:
Object Mentor Inc.            | blog:
The Agile Transition Experts  | web: