Re: Relational Divsion

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 00:35:35 GMT

Rich Ryan wrote:

> To me, as a school kid, division was multiple subtractions. Can we do real
> "divides by ".with the algebra we cling to? In context of the math we use?

Relational product is not the same as series addition or series union. Why would you expect an algebra of relations to have a mapping to the algebra of integers, rationals or reals? Different types, different operations, different algebras.

Is it possible to express relational operations in terms of different relational operations? Yes. Read _The Third Manifesto_ for a couple examples. Received on Thu Jun 01 2006 - 02:35:35 CEST

Original text of this message