From: Bruno Desthuilliers <bdesth.quelquechose_at_free.quelquepart.fr>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 02:50:54 +0200

frebe73_at_gmail.com a écrit :

>>I don't know Java, but if your statement about Java disadvantages is
>>true, that's a problem with Java -- not with OO.

> In a true OO language there are no first order functions.

Ho, really ?

I'm afraid your confusing OO (ie: *object* oriented) with "class-oriented" (like in Java). In a "true OO language", *everything* is an object. So functions are objects too. So functions are first-order.

> Some OO
> languages, like Python, are a little more pragmatic and has some non-OO
> features too.

Same remark here. Python as first-order functions because Python's functions *are* objects - and FWIW, you can turn any object into a callable by overlading the call operator. Received on Thu Jun 01 2006 - 02:50:54 CEST

Original text of this message