From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 30 May 2006 13:56:55 -0700

John D Salt wrote:
> "Marshall" <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com> wrote in
> >
> > I see. You have nothing useful to contribute, so you split
> > hairs over some terminological difference you imagine.
>
> If you can't see that the difference between data and information really
> exists, then I suggest you are not terribly well placed to accuse anyone
> else of having nothing useful to contribute.

You would have a point if the two words had commonly accepted definitions with important distinctions between them. But they don't. Whether a difference "really exists" hinges on the definitions used, and without reference to specific definitions, the question has no meaning.

The fact that some group of people might make up such definitions is perfectly reasonable. That they would then assume that everyone else must know and use their definitions in all contexts is not.

> All the best,

Thank you for the kind wishes.

Marshall Received on Tue May 30 2006 - 22:56:55 CEST

Original text of this message