Re: Relation or attribute and why

From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 18:15:53 GMT

"Gene Wirchenko" <genew_at_ucantrade.com.NOTHERE> wrote in message news:m419725upa1r1cbsjngurlc7sr7i12b47p_at_4ax.com...
> On Wed, 24 May 2006 12:33:43 GMT, "David Cressey"
> <dcressey_at_verizon.net> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >I disagree.
> >
> >Conceptual Data Model has enough detail to describe the problem domain
from
> >a data centric point of view.
> >The napkin model doesn't. The difference between the napkin model and
the
> >CDM is analysis.
>
> Of course. A conceptual model (and note that I do not put the
> word "data" in there) is that undetailed. That is what the analysis
> is for, and the result is a logical model.
>
> What do you disagree with?

I disagree that the logical model is the result of analysis. The logical model is the result of design.

If you want to define "Conceptual Model", go ahead. I want to use the term "Conceptual Data Model", which I've seen in print for over 20 years now, used by reputable authors. A conceptual model and a conceptual data model may or may not be the same thing.

As far as level of detail goes, a model that fits on a napkin is good for a casual conversation in a bar or restaurant. That could be the beginning of a formal project, but it's hardly the end of conceptual modeling. The thing that attracted me to OOA by Coad and Yourden is that they don't split the conceptual model into a data model and a process model. Received on Wed May 24 2006 - 20:15:53 CEST

Original text of this message