Re: Poll: Expert user vs. Internals Expert

From: Jay Dee <ais01479_at_aeneas.net>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 02:45:11 GMT

Rich Ryan wrote:
> To be considered a relational database expert ( in the eyes of a potential
> client) , is relational theory more important than knowledge of the
> internals and administration of a particular implementation(Oracle, MS SQL
> Server, MySQL)? Or the other way around.
>
> Rich

If phrased as, "To be a relational database expert,..." there would be no question: knowledge of theory is absolutely necessary; knowledge of products has very little to do with the relational model. Presuming, of course, that "knowledge of theory" means "knowledge of relational theory" which, in turn, means knowledge of the relational model -- the only sound and complete model that concerns itself with data and databases.

Your question didn't specify the relational model -- which, I believe, many contributors here would consider the standard by which products are measured. The next glaringly obvious point is that very few "relational database products" implement the relational model. Certainly, any offering SQL, &c as query language or manipulation language don't implement the relational model.

In that light, if one accepts the various vendors' vapid claims that their products are relational databases, then being expert in any of them would qualify one as an expert -- in that narrow field. After all, these products vary greatly and relatively little knowledge can be transferred from one product to another.

But your question contained an important qualifier; you asked, "To be considered a relational database expert..." Well, all that one has to do is fill a CV with a bit of alphabet soup -- I think OCP and MSCE fit the bill nicely. Of course, the absolutely most cobbled up, pieces of dreck designs I've ever seen have been produced by bozos who held such certifications. (I must admit: they certainly managed to use many more of the vendor's proffered proprietary features than I would have though prudent -- but what do I know.)

The answer to the question you should have asked is: knowledge of the relational model is necessary -- before anything else. Received on Wed May 24 2006 - 04:45:11 CEST

Original text of this message