Re: Poll: Expert user vs. Internals Expert

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 31 May 2006 10:07:57 -0700

> > Could I get you to model a few complex sentences with an actual RM implementation so that we can verify if the above is relevant?
>
> Suppose I want to keep sets of sage and other contributors to c.d.t:

JayDee, the "sentences" in your example aren't similarly complex as the sentences is the thread titled "Modelling Complex Sentences", but I can use yours to verify that dbd's method of representing things is more general/flexible/systematic than RM. It will require several extentions of the initial example to demonstrate that RM isn't as general as it's solutions continually needs to be restructured for new/unknown data requirements while there is less impact on dbd's soution.

>  RM implementation using ??? D Tutorial ???:
>    var sage real relation { name char } key { name } ;
>    sage += relation {tuple { name 'Bob' }, tuple { name 'JayDee' } };
>
>    var jerk real relation { name char } key { name } ;
>    jerk += relation {tuple { name 'Neo' } } ;
>
>    var state real relation { name char, state char } key { name } ;
>    state += relation {tuple { name 'Bob', state 'on' }, tuple { name 'Neo', state 'off' } } ;

Below is dbd (db for dummies) script to represent the above:

(; Create sages and jerks)
(new 'bob 'sage)
(new 'jayDee 'sage)
(new 'neo 'jerk)

(; Create on and off states)
(new 'on 'state)
(new 'off 'state)

(; Create bob's and neo's states)
(create bob state on)
(create neo state off)

JayDee, now I would like you to show the following by extending your initial example if possible (otherwise restructure orginial schema/data as necessary).

(; Find the relator/verb between bob and sage)
(; Finds class)
(select bob * sage)

(; Find the relator/verb between sage and bob)
(; Finds instance)
(select sage * bob)

(; Represent that classifications sages and jerks are opposites)
(new 'opposite 'verb)
(create sage opposite jerk)
(create jerk opposite sage)

(; Find things whose classification is opposite of neo's)
(; Finds bob and jayDee)
(select (select (select neo class *) opposite *) instance *)

(; Represent that states on and off are opposites)
(create on opposite off)
(create off opposite on)

(; Find things whose state is opposite of neo's)
(; Finds bob and jayDee)
(select * state (select (select neo state *) opposite *))

For more details, see www.dbfordummies.com/nli/expression.asp Received on Wed May 31 2006 - 19:07:57 CEST

Original text of this message