Re: Impossible Database Design?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_pei.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 14:08:20 GMT

Nikolai Onken wrote:

>>Not really.

> Hmm, so probably then I should go for every event gets stored as a
> single entry in the db...
>

>>Because an infinite calendar would require infinite memory to represent
>>the largest date.

> I prefer to tell a client though that "something doesn't work because
> computers can't yet handle it" rather than "we have to reprogramm
> because the concept was not proof when developed" (I know that it is
> really irrelevant since my client won't go ask me in 243678 why
> something doesn't work but I am just curious to what the best solution
> is)

Since the requirement is a figment of your imagination, you would do better by telling the client: "Yes, I can deliver what you need."

> Would you argue that the calendar example I gave is not a working
> infinite calendar (with some constraints, querying into the future is
> only possible on a defined scale)? It still would work like a charm in
> 2432654376 :)

Apparently, you lack comprehension of the terms 'finite' and 'infinite'. I suggest you ponder the difference between them and re-read what I already posted. Received on Wed May 17 2006 - 16:08:20 CEST

Original text of this message