Re: Impossible Database Design?

From: Marshall <marshall.spight_at_gmail.com>
Date: 16 May 2006 18:21:11 -0700

Bob Badour wrote:

> > It would be quite simple to write a calendar supporting true infinite
> > events by just leaving the end date empty but as far as I can think of
> > it won't be possible anymore to calculate overlaping events..
>
> You have not been listening. Unless you have an infinite computer, you
> cannot create an infinite calendar.

Seconded. Why not state a more realistic requirement, such as: support events up to 1000 years in the future? 1000 is much, much less than infinite, and so has the advantage of being actually possible.

Also remember Scott McNealy's comment: "Most software has the shelf life of a banana." Your software probably won't still be in use in even 10 years.

Marshall Received on Wed May 17 2006 - 03:21:11 CEST

Original text of this message