Re: A Logical Model for Lists as Relations

From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 13:04:45 GMT

"x" <x_at_not-exists.org> wrote in message news:e3v9uo$30q$1_at_emma.aioe.org...

> "David Cressey" <dcressey_at_verizon.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Jay Dee" <ais01479_at_aeneas.net> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Yes, I agree. If one were, for example, compiling a list of what
> > > folks were going to bring to the picnic, it might be nice to know
> > > that potato salad had been recorded many more times than fried
> > > chicken...
>

> > That's counting, not asserting. Asserting something twice is no more
> > consequential than asserting it once.
>
> The assertion depend on when, where, who, ... made it. :-)

As data in databases is generally understood, the database itself is making an assertion, once a transaction has been committed and accepted that makes that assertion. Of course, an application could attach to every assertion an indication of the author of the assertion. In which case, that same author, asserting something more than once is no more consequential than that author asserting it once. Received on Thu May 11 2006 - 15:04:45 CEST

Original text of this message