Re: All hail Bob!

From: David Cressey <dcressey_at_verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 12:04:24 GMT

"Frank Hamersley" <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message news:bqu8g.1420$S7.799_at_news-server.bigpond.net.au...

> This touches on a subject that I have often wondered about.
>
> With respect to the the USA does anyone know when and why, or even at
> all, the corporate decision was taken to "simplify" the spelling of some
> words? An archetype example for me is "metre" which as I routinely see
> on NASA/JPL sites as "meter".

The divergence between British and American spellings was, in part, conscious and deliberate. Noah Webster, author of the first American dictionary, favored spellings that differed from British spellings so as to accentuate the cultural independence of America from Britain. A lot of water has gone under the bridge since that time.

It's not clear to me that simplification was ever the goal. Received on Thu May 11 2006 - 14:04:24 CEST

Original text of this message