Re: All hail Bob!

From: Frank Hamersley <terabitemightbe_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 23:11:03 GMT

Marshall Spight wrote:
> Keith H Duggar wrote:

>> On another note, does anyone have any thoughts as to why
>> willful ignorance and mediocrity has become so fashionable?
>> Or has it always been in fashion?

> I have no evidence that would suggest the level of appreciation
> for education is either rising or falling among the general
> public. I have noted a strong tendency for people to consider
> the present worse than the past, so I am somewhat suspicious
> of the "us get stupider" hypothesis.

This touches on a subject that I have often wondered about.

With respect to the the USA does anyone know when and why, or even at all, the corporate decision was taken to "simplify" the spelling of some words? An archetype example for me is "metre" which as I routinely see on NASA/JPL sites as "meter".

Both these organisations, I think I can safely assume, use SI to fly their stuff, but have adjusted their output for domestic consumption.

Was there a single point genesis of this change or was it something that arose during the coalescing of the Union?

Cheers, Frank. Received on Thu May 11 2006 - 01:11:03 CEST

Original text of this message