Re: Logical = relational?

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_nospaum_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 4 May 2006 15:34:07 -0700

Jan Hidders wrote:
> > The relation dimension moved from 2 to n, but remained fixed.
> > E Codd expanded the idea to manipulate relations of mixed dimensions.
>
> Mixed dimensions? I have no idea what that means. Codd also talked
> about n-ary relations so I don't see what in what sense the idea was
> expanded except that perhaps the places in the predicates now became
> labled with names.

I had an impression that Cylindric Algebras are "homodenous" algebras of the relations which have the same dimension. Take the cylindrification, for example (Van den Bussche "Applications of Tarski Ideas in DB theory"): "The cylindrification along the dimension i of the relation r < A^n with i in {1,...,n} we mean the operation:

y_i(r) = {(a_1, ..., a_n) in A^n | ...}

In other words cylindrification unlike projection doen't reduce relation arity. Received on Fri May 05 2006 - 00:34:07 CEST

Original text of this message