Re: Storing derived and derivable data

From: Kenneth Downs <ken_at_secdat.com>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 20:43:53 -0400

dawn wrote:
> Is there database theory that includes identification of
>
> 1. the fact that values for an attribute either were or could have been
> derived?
> 2. how values for an attribute were derived?
> 3. how values for an attribute could have been derived?

Dawn, hello! Long time no see.

I saw your post and decided it was time to end my long exile, you have asked the questions that are at the heart of my company and project.

In order to even begin to deal with this question, you have to deal with the 800lb gorilla called "Normalization", which forbids derived data. I wrote an essay on that some months ago, which is here:

http://docs.secdat.com/index.php?gppn=Normalization+and+Automation

The states basically that derived data is part of life, and since normalization can't deal with it, normalization is not enough to guide serious application development. But you also can't throw it away, because it gives good things. Received on Fri May 05 2006 - 02:43:53 CEST

Original text of this message